Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Senza Politi's

Today was the first time I went out in Milano without a Politi by my side to help me! True, I had a wonderful friend of Anna, Isa helping me instead- but it was also challenging because Isa speaks very little English and so for about two hours I only spoke Italian. I had a very good time, and I think in those two hours I felt more confident with the language. She introduced me to some friends of hers and when one complimented my Italian I remember thinking it was just about the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. We went along Via Torino which, Isa told me, is very famous for shopping- the kind of shopping with more realistic price tags (not exactly Gucci). I think that I will return there to go shopping, myself. I went into the closest thing they have to a Walmart- which is not very close. Not even close to a Food Lion, actually, but it has two floors so it's bigger (and cheaper) than anything else here. I bought conditioner, thank goodness. My host brother doesn't exactly have it laying around in the bathroom. Isa says that she will introduce me to other people, and that soon we should all go to the cinema together. She also knows some people who go to the same high school as me. Milan is crazy with it's schools! It has so many, and if you don't like the one you go to it is very easy to switch. There are many schools with different specialities- but I think mine is pretty straight forward. Tomorrow I will go to my school to meet my counselor. Wish me luck!

Ciao.
Grace

p.s. Today we also tried to buy a metro pass for me but we must get my citizen permit first. We will try tomorrow. The office was not open today.

No comments: