Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mama Mia!

Wow.
Get ready for a big one.

Important things to take note of right off:
I am quickly becoming hooked on espresso.
Don't get me started on pizza.
And I think I could happily spend the rest of my life walking around this city.
Exploring= My current and most stimulating hobby

Saturday

First I met up with all the Rotary people early in the morning. I saw some kids I had flown over with from Amsterdam, but there were many new faces. Most are Americans, I think there are two from Australia and one from Germany. I hadn't realized that not all of the kids lived in the city like me, but in areas around it like Bergamo and Lake Como. Misco (the Italian who seemed to be directing everything) started us off with introductions, rules, advice, and a general idea of all the trips we are going on together throughout this year. This was when we all got totally stoked- yes we shall indeed be going to Venice (for the Carnivale!) , Pisa, Florence, and Rome (for a full weekend!) as well as thoroughly touring our own region.

Today's event: Tour Milano
So all the exchange kids hopped on the metro and we headed down to the Duomo. We went in the Galleria, spun our heels on the bull of Torino for good luck- and waited for our tour guide. He arrived and for the next half hour or hour gave us quite the history lesson of Milan, while we took a good look at the Scala (the opera house) and the Galleria. Afterwards we went for (oh so amazing) pizza and gelato and we really go to know one another. And let me tell you, this is coffee ice cream like I have never had it before.

So then we returned to the Piazza and went completely around the Duomo and inside. Incredible. The weather wasn't that great- a little drizzly- so we didn't go on the roof but some others and I plan to go back together another time. Then we went to the Castle which is very close to the Duomo. Also going back to see the garden there, which the tour guide says is the biggest in the city. I need to see a bit more green, to be honest.

So after a very fun day with Rotary, Marco picked me up. After grocery shopping with Marina and Daniele, they dropped me off at Isa's house. I met her boyfriend, Fra and her dog Maggie. Her mother, who I had met before, made us a great dinner which we ate quickly. I accompanied them to the second canal in Milan, to meet some of their friends. So many people, especially youth, flock to the canals at night. I don't blame them, it's truly beautiful with all of the lights and small bars and cafés. I was introduced and of course all who knew English gave me their best effort, while I tried to make my tired brain follow their rapid Italian. It didn't work too well, but it was still nice to be once again immersed with Italians after my very English-speaking day. I returned home finally.

This morning we woke early to go to the moutains. Yes, my host family has a house in the Alps. Unfortunately the weather was pretty horrible, with rain and fog everywhere but I loved it nontheless. The fog resting around the mountain created a separated world in the small village. It seemed so far away from the big city, which I'm sure was the goal. We walked through the streets, umbrella in hand, stopping in at this shop or that shop with quick ciao's for people they knew. Did I mention Marina bought A LOT of cheese? Too soon we piled back in the car to go back down the winding roads, but we stopped at a small restaurant not far from the mountain where I had quite possibly the best hot chocolate in the world. You heard me. Funny how I always appreciate it more when my jeans are soggy and my toes beginning to numb. Fall is definitely here in Milan. When I arrived, all sun and already it's going grey.

After an hour to change and tidy up here at the house we went to church. It was my first time not only in an Italian church but any kind of Catholic church. Even though I understood little of the sermon I enjoyed the atmoshphere with the gorgeous ceilings and numerous hushed Italians. It is strange how the environment, a church like that, makes you feel as if you are the presence of something sacred with your first step in the door. Afterward, we picked up Marina Bambini from an aunt's house and took her home. I just finished dinner, cheese being the primary focus.

And yes, I realize that every food reference in this blog is sure to load me up with extra poundage. I was feeling so good before because I eat a lot more fruit and drink a lot more water here! But tomorrow I will look into the nearby parks and gyms because I'm going to need some very (VERY) regular exercise this year. Marina says that there is a gym nearby that is not as expensive as others. I also think school will help because my counselor says it isn't necessary for me to take latin or german, so she is going to take me out of some classes- I'm pretty sure I'll end up with two gym classes. She also mentioned African Dance after school? I really want to look into the after school stuff. And as far as libraries to do homework, Daniele says there is a huge one near the Duomo, which is perfect- being halfway between home and school.

I really want a routine! I want to check out the gym/ library situation so that when school starts I can begin it right away.


The amazing thing is I could still ramble away, but I must go to bed and this blog must end at some point. Mama Mia! (they actually say this here as an exclamation, not just in reference to a musical)

Buona Notte,
Grace

2 comments:

David Fetty said...

WOW! You have had so many awesome experiences in just the past week! Keep it up, and soak it all in girl! A light class load would be a blessing, 2 gym classes? I love to read your writing Grace, you have a gift, your blog itself shows why you are in Milan for 10 months. I love you!
David

My Landscape Journey said...

Cottage in the Alps? Neat. Getting to know the city better, and the canals sound like fun. What a great entry -- better yet what great experiences!

Love you,

Dad