Friday, September 12, 2008

Downpour!

I'm sleepy and my feet hurt- but today has been a great day!

Well, first Marina and I got stuck in a huge thunderstorm that never seemed to let up. We were trying to get my permesso di sogiorno (I think that's right...) and we had to run around with this umbrella we bought at the metro station but finally we ducked in a small coffee shop. Marina looked at me and said "The umbrella is not sufficient" and the way she said it-with her hair soaking wet, oh so funny.

I also had lunch (spaghetti!) with my Rotary tutor. Giorgio is very nice and tries to speak English for me. He is not as bad as he says he is. His wife, Valeria is a bit better. After lunch we walked through a very pretty area of Milan, where you cannot drive your car and there are many little shops and cafés.

Then I met Maria Teresa and her friends to go see an art exhibition. This was when I got my real Italian lesson, because her friend doesn't speak much English, and I was happy to (oh so slowly) try out more Italian. I also understood the descriptions of the paintings very well. I think it makes a big difference when there is a visual aspect as well as audio.

I walked home from the metro without getting lost!

So now I will rest as we celebrate Santa Maria Day with Maria Bambina.

Tomorrow is the District Rotary meeting- should be fun!
Ciao!
Grace

1 comment:

David Fetty said...

Hey Grace! I'm so glad you are doing well in Milano. I read your blog so far and it's pretty cool. I'm glad you like your family, and that you have made some friends already. You made me laugh with your list of strange things in Italy, the longer you are there the more differences you will notice. Everyong back home is doing well, believe it or not we have gotten back to normal life even though our Grace is gone, haha. I think about you all the time and look forward to tracking your progress witht this blog. Sometimes it's hard to believe my little sister is so far from home, I guess I need a "cyberpinch"! I'm so proud of you Grace!
Love, David