Thursday, September 11, 2008

Progress

So today I did a lot of things so far.

First, I met with my school counselor. She is an English teacher, thank heavens. It turns out I'll be starting school (along with the other 3 Americans at this particular high school) on the 18th, 3 days late. I'll be taking Linguisitics courses. She told me, and this is a direct quote, "for two months, you will not understand anything, in any class, at any time". So, I'm looking forward to it, naturally. Also I can do some extracurricular activities, but I will find out more about them when I begin school. There was another girl from the States there this morning, Kylee from Phoenix, Arizona.

Marco also showed me inside the Milan Train Station, which is pretty amazing although I think I was the only person gaping. It's undergoing a lot of construction and soon it will be much easier to go from metro to train and from train to metro.

Also today I went with Marina to a very popular tutoring center here in Milano, where many students go for extra help with their studies. They also have people to help foreigners learn Italian (that's me!). So I am now in their system and they are going to find the best tutors for me and we will set up appointments. I think that I will be able to go from school to PortoFranco (the name of the center) and then home, but we'll see.

And now I will finish with a list of things that are strange for me here in Italy.

1) There is a McDonalds quite near the house with GOLD lettering. No yellow or red anywhere.
2) Any American TV show. You think you are watching Will Smith, but then you realize he must have eaten an Italian because that is NOT his voice! (especially strange for the simpsons, or friends)
3) The grapes have seeds.
4) The church we will go to is called Sant Ambrosio, and Sant Ambrosio IS ON DISPLAY DOWSTAIRS. Skeletons don't look so bad dressed in gold and red velvet with candles around and a crown to boot!
5) Many people smoke cigarettes as they ride their bicycles...
6) Tiny tiny cars.
7) Gelato has oh so many flavors.
8) Water without ice?
9) Someone has made my bed three times! The cleaning phantom...
10) To flush, I hit something on the wall.
11) Also, there is not so much air conditioning in this country.

basta, ciao!

Grace

1 comment:

My Landscape Journey said...

Linguistics? Sound like right up your alley. Three months before you understand? That was another girl from America, not you...but sounds like you're getting comfortable and that's great. How was the art show? Modern? The train station...like that all over Europe...probably high girdered roof, marble floors and trains pulling up to gates like in Harry Potter. Ducking into the coffee shop from the rain, sounds like Europe. I bet you are enjoying the "flavor" and eating it all up. I love you sweety. Dad