Wednesday, January 14, 2009

NEW FAMILY

OK, Sorry if I kept you waiting (Mother) but it's been tricky getting to the computer. However, I'm here now and I'll give you a brief summary of my family/house/location change.

I now live with Sergio, Manuela, Elena (12 yrs.) , and Stefano (5 yrs.) in their condo in Poasco, which is actually outside of the city limits of Milan. I'm really happy about my switch for several reasons. First of all, it shall achieve the exact goal of Rotary and the point of changing families- which is to have a better idea of the average Italian family by living with different types of people. My new family, is different than my last and I'm excited to experience Italy through their style of doing things. Also, the house is kind of out in the booneys- at least for the Milanese, and while some exchangers, when I tell them where I live, get these looks that plainly say "Not Convenient!" for me, it is so worth the extra time and tricky transportation. There is space! There are trees! I can even run in this new little village of mine, because what is there we can't even call traffic. As for the house itself, it is obvious that a 5 year old lives there. It's doesn't have the elegance of my previous home- but I'm not afraid if I put something away in the wrong spot, or to disrupt the order. I felt immediately comfortable in their chaotic jumble- I even wash dishes again! I must emphasize, I am genuinely pleased about all of this. My family is helpful, but a little more hands-off. At this point I'm well adjusted and I don't need everyone to do everything for me or with me. I think my new family recognizes my ability to handle my own situation with maturity. Manuela is just the sweetest chatterbox you'll ever meet- which I think will help my Italian progress further since she is kind of hard to understand. Sergio feels like more like an American father, if only because he is big and tall. I think we're going to be tight, I helped him talk to his American cousin on Skype last night. It felt not only cool to be using my translating skills, but to be able to help the people who are so kind to me! Elena is a bit quiet, but I came home the other day and asked her if she wanted tea and a snack and once you sit her down with some passionfruit brewing she'll go on about her day. Stefano is going to be a heart-breaker. He greets me the same way every time I see him- he asks for kisses and says "sei bellisima!" (you are so beautiful!). This kid is 5. It's only just begun. Oh and they are all blonde, except Sergio, so I don't stick out like a sore thumb. I have begun to use the yellow metro line, which is the nicest, but used to be pretty useless for me. It is also easy to stop by and keep in touch with the Politi's. I have a feeling they will always be on the scene. So yeah, it's all good! And yesterday I got my first ever box from home!!! Mama Santa, I was so happy! Thank you everyone who contributed to it, it meant a lot.

xxoo,
Grace

No comments: