Friday, January 30, 2009

The Milanese

have many things to be proud of. Milan is a city of elegant importance. It is has a key location near many other European countries. The Milan Duomo is one of the most captivatingly beautiful churches in the world. They have art, theatre, and nightlife. They have history and culture. There's the Castlello Sforzesco, the canals, the soccer teams, the amazing transportation, the fashion, the food, not to mention the best looking business men walking down their streets I fear I will ever see. But one thing you will probably never hear them boast about is the weather. It's a new experience for me. The rainy season took me completely off guard and I often came home squelching and soaked. Then followed weeks of clouds, more rain, snow, ice and persisting cold. When I mention it, in perhaps discussing the differences between my home state and Milan, the looks I recieve are apologetic. Do I just imagine the averted gazes and lowered voices when people tell me, "Go to Rome" or "Visit Sicily"? It's actually not THAT bad. I don't know what I expected- we are a stone's throw from the Alps themselves! The truth is I am a complete wimp and starting January I begin (literally and routinely) dreaming of the beach and summertime. But the Italians here need not be ashamed of perhaps one of the very few things they cannot boast about- today was an absolutely beautiful day. In fact this week this sun has made an appearance more than once, and the results for me are that around the time I exit school I get a nice sunlit walk in a bustling european city. It raises my spirits undoubtedly. It makes me wonder how I could ever NOT have high spirits. The sun comes out and says "Grace! Look Around! Your life is perfect!". I buy it every time. Why wouldn't I? It's really true!

Today "sono di buon umore", I'm in a good mood. I went to school and arrived on time (always a blessing). I had a couple hours of classes but also time to research and print off things to help me understand some of my current topics a bit better. After school (while walking in the sun) I made my way to Giorgio's house for lunch. I had been pretty worried about Giorgio. He had been sick for quite a few weeks and I hadn't seen him since Christmas Eve (and he had been sick BEFORE Christmas Eve too!). I was completely relieved to see him well again and to have lunch with him and his wife Valeria. Giorgio is always an amusing character and he never fails to disappoint me. He is so Italian! For instance, today I asked Giorgio how his kids were (all of them college age and beyond) and this is a little translation of his reply: "Oh, horrible! They have abbandoned me! I never see them! They are never around! I want my children in my house with me always but they tell me 'Oh Papa, we don't love you anymore!' " Giorgio has told me on more than one occasion that he doesn't want his children to ever leave him, and that in America people leave home too early. "Why wouldn't I want them to stay with me forever?" Pretty cute, eh? While at Giorgio's house I got to use his skype account to call America for free, and while it was too early in VA to call most people, I knew I could probably reach my dad. I had a 45 minute conversation with him! It was so great, and when I left Giorgio's the sun felt even warmer.

Enough for now,
Grace

oh p.s.
something I thought was funny the other day: we were sitting at the dinner table but Stefano kept running back and forth to watch his cartoons until Sergio finally said "Stefano! Come in here and sit down like all other christian people!"

1 comment:

Karen Fetty said...

A pleasure, as always, to read. XXOO