Monday, April 27, 2009

Update

OK,

So I do have some more Menaggio photos on the way, but they might take a while. And Cremona photos too! We all (Rotary kids) took a day trip to Cremona like a week or two ago. The Stradivarius comes from Cremona, and it's still a violin-making hot spot. We got to see a violin workshop and a violin- maker spoke to us about his job and answered our questions. Then we went to the museum where we saw some of the most ancient, beautiful, and valuable violins in the entire world. Really amazing. Then we tried to go up the tower (I'd already done it) but it was closing. Poor Murnik tried so hard, saying stuff like "Oh c'mon. They're young! They'll be up and down in a blink of an eye." But it didn't work. So we had a bit of free time and I went to check out this fabulous tea shop with Halcy and Danielle, while walking halfway across the city (this isn't saying much, really). We met back up with everyone and went to a local place for dinner. Yum yum.

Danielle spent the night at my place because her host family was out of town, so we got up early and made my host family pancakes. Not sure how much they liked them. The term "brunch" just didn't sit well with my host dad. He was all disoriented. Haha. Well, we tried. Danielle and I, at least, ate our banana pancakes with gusto. Actually now that I'm really thinking about it, banana pancakes are so UN-Italian that the confused look on Claudio's face is completely understandable. Besides, Italians aren't used to condensing two meals into one. Expanding two meals into three, MAYBE.

This past week in school I got an 8 in Philosophy! So that made me pretty happy. And an 8 in English, and I know I have a slightly gigantic advantage there, but she grades me hard people! Anyways, the grade really doesn't matter. The important part was how she went on about how proud she was that I have "really adapted to the European school system" and that I should take home the habit of "profound thinking" back to the states. What a cutie, eh? We were studying Shakespeare and I really can't help but get excited about that.

This past Saturday was a holiday here. It the celebration of the day that marked the beginning of the end of WWII. Guess what day that is? When the Americans arrived in Milan! I felt especially patriotic. But anyways, it pretty much meant that I was treated to an American weekend (No school on Saturday!). It was quite strange, I mus tell you, to be going out on Friday night. I had to rely on muscle memory, if you will. It was a lot of fun. I went out with Isa and my host brother and a whole bunch of their mutual friends to a kareoke bar (yes I did this) and then crashed at Isa's place real close by. We're talking about 12 people sleeping in one room. Gosh, it took me back to the days when my older brothers would have friends over and I'd tiptoe through the family room the next morning over endless teenage boys on the floor, sofa, armchair...good times. But anyways, I lucked out because I got to sleep on the bed with 3 other girls. The next day I went through the Duomo area and saw the end of some anti-fascism demonstration that was going on. Lots of dreds. I took a picture of people milling about after. Maybe I'll post it, just so you can see. I met up with a couple of exchangers and Italian host siblings for a quick aperativo near the Peace Arc. Sunday was rainy and I did very close to nothing all day.

I'm very excited for Rome, which I will leave for on Thursday!!!

Gosh, in general, I'm great! The weather, for the most part, has been beautiful which means I'm insanely chipper all the time. Nearly every time I come home I exclaim "Ma che bel tempo!!!" (What beautiful weather!).

Spring has arrived.
and Grace is diggin' it.

(Every time I used third person I think of the play Julius Caesar and how he always referred to himself in 3rd person, and then I always delete it. But this time, I'm staying strong. Yeah, I'm weird.)

Love to all,
Grace
xxoo

No comments: