Friday, April 17, 2009

Bergamo. Family Change. Easter.

HI Guys,

I’m in a really good mood, which is always a great time to write a blog, updating you all on what I’ve been up to.

Where did I leave off? I don’t think I told you about my day trip with Rotary to Bergamo. It’s a city not very far from Milan. The coolest thing about it is definitely it’s two different levels. See, the older and higher level of the city sits more up on the mountains, with a huge wall around the whole thing to keep the bad guys out (much like we’ve seen in places like Pisa, etc). It’s filled with tons of history and fun facts that I’ve mostly forgotten at this point but that I remember I really found interesting! Sorry! I do remember that they first had their baptistery in their church but deconstructed it piece by piece and put it together perfectly across from the church instead. The lower level of the city is a bit newer and reminds me kind of Milan. But also a bit like America. I think? I mean, it’s more American-like (AKA young) than most of the places here. I really loved walking along the path that follows the mural around the higher level. Beautiful vista!

I’ve changed host families and now live so close to my school it fills my heart with gladness. Gladness, guys. There is no other substitute word. It’s like 7 bus stops in the morning (about 15 minutes) and after school, if I’m not in a rush I can walk home adoring the amount of green I never imagined Milan containing. That’s what I did today and I gotta tell you- walking home in the sunshine is medicinal. It’s just good for your soul. Do you get how full my heart is of gladness about my proximity to my school? I’m really trying to drill it in here.

And my family is really sweet. There are four of them- Claudio, Marina, Giovanni (17), and Sylvia (13). I get along well with all of them. They asked me what I liked to eat and if they could get me things at the grocery store! I have my own room. When I go out with friends they are more than happy to come pick me up if it’s at a late hour. I’ve done a few things with Giovanni and his friends and they are super nice. Marina worries a bit too much about thing, and sometimes I just make her a cup a tea so she’ll chill out a little. Sweet a sugar, though. And Claudio is a cool dude, I can just tell. He does most of the cooking, actually. And he’s bearded! And Sylvia is a cutie pie. She’s already started drinking more tea and eating more fruit since I’ve come along!

Today was perfect. I came home and made myself a beautiful lunch (Sometimes I go to the Grandma’s, but she pretty much wants to force-feed me everything in her kitchen, so I don’t think I’ll be going there everyday). Then I went for a run, came home and bathed. I helped Sylvia with her English homework and we went for a long walk. It started to rain on our way home and we ended up running the last bit home (Marina called twice during that short span of time worried sick. God bless her.) Taking the elevator up, we were both out of breathe and the slightest bit wet- not to mention laughing our heads off. It started really pouring shortly after and the hail is still hitting the skyroof windows. The rumble of thunder- how beautiful!

And the icing on the cake- Asparagus for dinner tonight!!!

I also went to Menaggio with Giorgio’s family for Easter. I really enjoyed being around the tranquility of the lake, and just zoning out for a bit. Hiked a bit, took a boat and plane ride on the lake, took a lot of photos, read, listened to music, met relatives and friends, ate everything Valeria cooked (what a glorious cook!), and got to make some phone calls home. Didn’t open a school book all break.

Overall, I’m doing better than ever. Been going out more and more with friends and soaking up these last couple months. Becoming more active (with this weather, time spent inside is time wasted!) and buckling down just enough in school. ;) Spring fever hits everywhere, you know.

Tomorrow I’m going to Cremona for the day with Rotary and I’m going to get to see violins made!!!

Love to all,
Grace

No comments: