Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Venezia

Sometimes I find it hard to grasp the fact that Ashland, VA and Milan, Italy in fact share the same planet. There are moments when it feels like they should occupy two different worlds completely. When I remember that all it takes to get home is a plane ride I feel a bit surprised. It’s that close? However, there are those instants when both worlds intertwine- when I feel as connected to Virginia as I do to Italy. These moments are so strangely exhilarating.

I experienced one of these moments riding back in the bus from Carnevale in Venice this past Sunday. Being in Venice for Carnevale was monumental for me. Venice was the first aspect of Italy that really reeled me in and caught my attention. From there I discovered my own desire to see it all. We’re talking 3rd grade, people. So stepping off the train and walking out of the station to see canals and costumes galore was truly indescribable. I really do wonder if one could be happier. We took a boat to see a demonstration at the Venetian glass factory and had lunch sitting together along the canal. I went with Rotary and a few different districts of kids from places like Genova, Sardegna, and the Venezia region itself. We had a bit of free time to explore before we had to go home. I broke off with Katharine, and we walked around the city taking deserted back streets, looking at masks and taking photos. Way too soon we had to return to the group. Now believe it or not, this was my favorite part of the day. Katharine and I, being already late, had to make it to the other side of the city to Piazza San Marco through the most jam-packed streets in the city. Hand in hand and masked we forced our way over bridges, through crowds, laughing and running across piazzas as evening descended upon Venice. For Murnik’s sake, I feel a little guilty for being late. But not that guilty. After reuniting with the group, boarding a boat, then a train, we finally were back on our bus driving home to Milan. It was just a taste of Venice, really- but I have absolutely no complaints. I nestled into my window seat with my ipod, some people sleeping around me- tuning out the rest. I put on Shuffle and suddenly James Taylor filled my ears, singing Sweet Baby James. I thought my heart would burst. I was on a bus in Italy but I was also undoubtedly back home with my family in the same exact moment. Maybe it is that close.

Enjoy the photos. I'll post some soon.
Grace

No comments: