Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tough Choices

Another exchanger went home on Sunday- the second one of all the exchangers I've met. It was a bit of a surprise for me. The first was one of the boys I had met in the Amsterdam airport and had flown over with, but he left within the first couple months. People go home for a variety of reasons, and while it's unfortunate, in my opinion it's still an invaluable learning experience. Everyone that I've met WANTED this experience. It wasn't a question of just wanting to waste a year by taking a ride on Rotary's generosity. I think all the interviews and the paperwork weeds that out. ;) All of us arrived trying to open our own minds to something very different, knowing that all of our expectations would be probably be wrong. I truly believe that each and every one of us have tried to adjust and adapt to the best of our ability. But whether one faces a loss of a family member back home, didn't get a country they chose, can't seem to get the language down, integrate, find a host family they become close to, conquer homesickness, or feel that they are truly taking advantage of this opportunity- sometimes there arises a combination of difficulties that force a student to make the tough choice and go home. I don't think either one of the students I know wasted a year. After all, this year isn't only about learning a new language and a new culture. Sometimes the biggest challenge is learning more about yourself. I'm going to miss Margot. She was one of my favorite people here- always smiling and laughing, great to joke around with, and I never once heard her complain. Having lived half a year in a foreign country is no small thing. And that brings up another surprising truth; You can be an absolutely fabtastic individual- but that doesn't necessarily mean that this is for you. And while you should certainly not rush this decision, and should consider it fully beforehand, sometimes the only way to know is to get over here and try it for yourself.

A dopo,
Grace

No comments: