Friday, November 14, 2008

Well folks,

We have entered the rainy season. For the past two weeks, it's just been plain gross. Now don't get me wrong, the cold I love. I can handle that. I'm ready for the upcoming months of hot beverages and seeing my breath and wearing earmuffs. I'm so down for that. But getting my feet wet every single morning on the way to school is just not fun. As my lovely new friend Jody said "If the sky was a person, it'd be dying". I have begun cheerful morning tactics to combat the near inevitable horrible mood from wet feet. I'll listen to podcasts of Lake Woebegon or Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!. God Bless NPR. I always show up at school smiling. (Although, my English has improved since I began doing this, and I'm not sure if it's entirely in my best interest).

But some lovely things have happened lately and continue to happen just in time to raise my spirits (wet feet and all). I saw Ra Ra Riot last night, an American band playing here in Milan. It was actually at a not-so-popular discoteca in the outskirts of the city. I went with Paulo, a boy I know who lives mega close to the place and a couple other people. After waiting entirely too long and having to suffer the Italian who played as an introduction- Ra Ra Riot took the stage, and I really just loved the whole thing from that point on. :)

School is getting both better and worse. I'm getting to the point where I can start to try. I can understand everything
about half the time even if some key concepts, context, and advanced vocabulary still passes me by. I can usually get a twisted version of what they are talking about, so I feel good. The trouble is, now I have to work. Hahaha. The teachers have caught on so they all keep asking me things and then I get overwhelmed. For example, the Philosophy teachers seems to think that I know what is going on in her class and has said very nicely that I can take a test whenever I want. I might understand a conversation they have in class, but I have absolutely no idea what theme we are discussing, which philosopher, or what the test would be about. Not to mention that I have to look up about half the words everytime I open the text book. Fortunately, she isn't the pushy type and I think I'll just start by trying to explain a paragraph I read in the book, etc. The point is, I'm starting to study more than just Italian these days. In fact, in a few minutes Marina is going to help me do my German, because (as usual) I have no idea what is going on. I must say I am enjoying the bizarre experience of being clueless. It really is an eye-opener for me about anyone who decides to come to America and tries to learn English. Seriously, Bravo.

This weekend I'm going to Cremona! I'm pretty excited :) I'll try to take a lot of photos to share with you. Thanks again for reading and I'll try to keep updating as often. I'm beginning to cough these days, and I'm sure the same cold season has begun back home. Everyone drink tea! And buy some Ricola!

Love from Grace

2 comments:

My Landscape Journey said...

Just remember, there's a song lyric that fits every situation. On rainy mornings I use, "My Girl." "I've got sunshine on a cloudy day with my girl, I've even got the month of May with my girl." Substitute subjects as appropriate for you. Muah, Dad

Unknown said...

Hi Grace,
I agree, wet feet are not fun. But I will say that in boy scouts, the boys tend to remember the bad weather events more than others.
Maybe it's meeting the challenge.
I also agree with your dad. I like "Singing in the Rain".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEvy-9yVyQ
Also, another is: http://www.bluechevelle.com/images/03FoolintheRain.wma

I also like what you did for Jonathan. Keep that smile on your face!!

- Uncle Mark -